Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What? Brussels Sprouts are DELISH!!

i remember the exact moment when i decided that i liked brussels sprouts. i know it's a weird thing to remember, but weird things tend to be easier to remember than run-of-the-mill stuff. wow. so when kasia and i decided to join the Bountiful Baskets food co-op, we knew that we'd get a variety of fruit and veggies. our first week, we got brussels sprouts. i remember my mom trying to get me to eat them growing up, but i just wouldn't. they looked gross. and smelled weird. now that i'm all grown up, my taste buds have grown up with me.

last night was super busy-crazy for me: i went to the gym from work (taking the bus and trax), ran home to shower, put in a ham, start my laundry, do the dishes and clean the stove, and finish reading an article for homework. somewhere in there, i managed to call my mom and wish her happy birthday. whew. however busy my schedule gets, i can always find time to try a new recipe. i got brussels sprouts in my co-op basket this week. they were pretty small, which was good because that meant i didn't have to cut them in half and risk them falling apart.

i found this website via pinterest and decided to give it a go. i usually just sautee the sprouts with some garlic, onion, and lemon. side note: anything is delish when sauteed with those 3 ingredients!!! anyway, i followed the recipe (pretty much) and had good results:

INGREDIENTS
 
brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and icky leaves removed
3 T olive oil
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t onion salt
 
DIRECTIONS
 
preheat oven to 400*
place everything in a large resealable plastic bag
seal tightly and shake to coat
pour onto a baking sheet/roasting pan
roast for 30-45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 minutes for even browning


1 comment: