Monday, December 3, 2012

Lumpia

 I know it's been a really long time since I've last blogged. I haven't had a lot of down time recently, but I'm trying to change that. I've gotten a lot of recipes lately from Pinterest, but have also discovered the lovely Mecca of all delicious recipes. I love how I can start looking at a type of recipe and then it evolves into something COMPLETELY different.

A few months ago, I started looking for recipes online that incorporated the "wombok" (or Napa Cabbage as it is referred to in the West) that Kasia and I got in our food co-op basket.

While looking for recipes, I ended up looking up a fun little thing called "LUMPIA." They're little egg rolls that are most common in the Philippines and Indonesia. I got so excited when I found a well-reviewed recipe because I realized that I'd had lumpia before. Years ago, I worked at Disney's California Adventure and had a Cast Member named Lee. He was awesome. One day, he gave me a little Styrofoam box filled with these delicious little egg rolls with a yummy sweet and sour chili sauce. I got nostalgic just looking at the recipe.

One thing I love about my coworkers is that everyone is eager to share information and help out in whatever way they can. I needed to find an Asian market in town to purchase some ingredients for the lumpia. One of my coworkers suggested the Southeast Market in downtown SLC. I was excited to finally have a recommended Asian market!! I went right after work and immediately realized that this place was authentic. I couldn't read most of what the products were on the shelves, and ended up having to ask the guy that worked there for help. I wanted to get specific lumpia wrappers and a chili sauce that I've heard was amazing.

After a successful trip to the market, I went to a few other stores to get the remaining ingredients. Finally, I was able to start cooking!! Another perk of making the lumpia was getting to use my wok!! I seriously love Love LOVE it!! The best part?? It's from IKEA........

Here's the awesome recipe:

1 T veggie oil
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground beef
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c minced carrots
1/2 c chopped green onions
1 c thinly sliced wombok
1 t pepper, salt, garlic powder
1 t soy sauce
30 lumpia wrappers
1 c oil for frying
 
**This was the recipe I used.......but I added a lot more of the veggies it called for**
 
Directions:
 
Place a wok or large skillet over high heat, and pour in 1 T veggie oil. Cook meat, stirring frequently, until no pink is showing. Remove from pan and set aside. Drain grease, but leave a thin coating. Cook garlic and onion in the same pan for 2 minutes. Stir in the meat, carrots, green onions, and wombok. Season with pepper, salt, garlic powder and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
 
Place 3 teaspoons of the filling diagonally near one corner of each wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2 inch space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling OVER the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight as you assemble. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge. COver the rolls with plastic wrap to retain moisture.
 
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat, add oil to 1/2 inch depth, and heat for 5 minutes. Slide 3-4 lumpia into the oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately!!
 
 
Here's what the little guys look like! They're supposed to be smaller than normal sized egg rolls that you would get at a restaurant. They are so delish!! Kasia and I just gobbled them up!!! The recipe made far more than we could eat in one sitting, so we ended up freezing the filling and made them again.
 
The soup in the picture is for a future post.........


No comments:

Post a Comment